About CHS Alliance
The CHS Alliance is a global alliance of humanitarian and development organisations committed to making aid work better for people. We believe organisations deliver higher quality, more effective aid when they are accountable to the people they serve. Together, we are a movement to strengthen accountability and to put people affected by crisis at the heart of what we do by implementing the Core Humanitarian Standard (CHS).
The CHS Alliance supports organisations meet the Commitments they have made to people affected by crisis in the Core Humanitarian Standard. It is important therefore that the CHS is embodied in the way the CHS Alliance manages its own operations.
This new role, created to support us in moving to the next stage of our development, will play a critical role in helping us achieve the ambitious goals of our new strategy, striving to embody the CHS in all our work, helping integrate our values with the money and resources across strategic and operational discussions. Its purpose is to help produce a support framework so everyone can make timely and informed decisions, navigating opportunities, challenges and changing circumstances.
It offers a rewarding opportunity for someone passionate about organisational culture and accountability. It offers someone the possibility to both support a dynamic organisation and contribute to broader organisational development and learning aligned to the CHS.
The COO will be part of the Senior Management Team, and a thinking partner alongside the Executive Director. They will contribute to the overall strategic vision of the organisation, managing a dedicated support team, and working closely with two great governance committees, to guide the internal operations of the organisation, in line with the considerations in the CHS. The person taking on this role will be a systems thinker, someone who enjoys connecting with others, and who approaches work with creativity, flexibility and a spirit of innovation and ambition
As a member of the Senior Management Team, this position provides leadership to key organisational functions, including planning, risk management, sustainable finance, HR management, governance support, information technology and compliance. They will support the SMT in the continued development of a positive culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion in line with the CHS.
Strategic and business improvement operations
- Lead strategic and internal operational planning processes: defining, guiding, facilitating, monitoring, improving planning and reporting processes.
- Support the financial and donor outreach and engagement for a sustainable and creative resource base.
- Ensure our internal processes meet the requirements of “embodying the CHS” and are also contributing to the external guidance and support to the CHS.
- Develop a strong, proactive, and supportive HR service, that meets the highest standards, in line with the CHS.
- Build strong systems and culture for a team where diversity, equity and inclusion are valued, promoted, and achieved.
- Develop and implement robust HR annual plans to deliver the organisational strategy.
- Work closely with the Board’s HR lead, in support of an effective Governing Board People and Culture committee
- Oversee organisation of CHS governance bodies, meetings, and practices, including governing documents and meeting papers.
- Maximise equality, diversity, and inclusion in governance.
Provide oversight and work in cooperation with CFO / Head of Finance and their team to:
- Oversee financial operations including financial management, accounting, control, reporting.
- Ensure effective budget workflows to enable departments meeting their goals and objectives.
- Oversee budgeting, financial planning, regular re-forecasting and modelling.
- Oversee organisation and programme-specific audits.
- Oversee development of tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to budget holders.
- Ensure a strong engagement with the Treasurer and support a strong Governing Board Finance Risk and Audit Committee.
- Oversee all regulatory requirements, legal interactions, procurement, insurance, and contracts.
- Lead the development of a new environmental impact strategy for how we operate.
- Oversee organisational risk register including regular and comprehensive review of risks to ensure adequate mitigations are in place.
- Lead the development of innovative and flexible tools to enhance business operations.
- Someone who shows a commitment to CHS Alliance´s mission and values, evidenced by exhibiting a high level of personal and professional integrity, humility, and humanity, and through experience with non-profit organisation, with a global membership reach, and a good knowledge of quality and accountability in the aid sector.
- Strong leadership capability and people management skills with demonstrated experience in managing, inspiring and empowering teams in changing environments, thanks to progressively responsible senior management roles.
- A strong facilitator with significant experience in leading planning and review processes at an organisational level and in sponsoring, planning, and managing major projects, with a track record of developing and delivering multi-year strategic plans.
- A professional in Finance, HR, or organisational development (MBA or accounting qualification a plus) able to read and interpret budgets, management accounts and financial statements.
- Someone who thrives with changing situations but can also execute swift decisions when needed.
- A natural relationship builder who enjoys and has proven ability to work collaboratively with others, demonstrating team building and facilitation skills. Someone who has a genuine interest in learning from and developing others and has worked on diversity, equality and inclusion.
- Someone trustworthy in managing sensitive situations and information, discrete, professional, and with excellent judgement.
- A good communicator with professional command of English, French a strong asset, and other working languages appreciate