- Location: Remote USA
- Salary: $90k-120K
Want to be part of a growing company that is using technology, pedagogy, and design to bring about positive social change? Founded in 2010, we are a social enterprise that works with leading nonprofits and government agencies around the world to push the boundaries of what’s possible in virtual learning and online events. From delivering an online series of courses on COVID response for frontline health workers to powering the largest human rights and tech conference in the world (RightsCon), TechChange contributes to some of the most innovative and important (virtual) conversations of our era.
TechChange provides human-powered services like facilitation, production, support, and design and a user-centric platform to support over 500K users across some 800 courses, workshops, and events.
The Senior Director of Hybrid Events is a team leadership position reporting to the VP of Partner Success & Delivery who will manage a team of staff and vendors in creating innovative and engaging hybrid events with our global social sector customers (“partners”).
The (Sr) Director should have fluency in event management, experience with in-person, virtual, and hybrid event production, and extensive project, people, and client management expertise. Ideally, you join our team with a set of vetted event vendors and contractors to help expand our event practice globally.
Given the accelerated growth of TechChange’s Hybrid Events business line, this role will include a strong emphasis on developing scalable processes and playbooks for best-practice delivery, piloting and rolling out new services and product features in partnership with our business development and product teams, creativity and flexibility in guiding partners on variable hybrid event configurations, and putting in place best-in-market practices to keep up with demand.
- Build, oversee and manage a lean team to ensure the successful execution of hybrid events that are professional in their execution from both an internal and external point of view
- Vet and build a roster of reliable production, AV, and in-person events partnerships and vendors to be leveraged as needed.
- Develop, innovate, and implement consistent, scalable department processes for relatively new product and services line (hybrid events)
- Empower event managers/project managers to run hybrid events from start to finish using the tools and processes you put into place
- Ensure all event projects are scoped and staffed to meet and exceed customer expectations and goals
- Monitor project expenses (eg project resource allocation, contractor spend) to ensure events are delivered on budget
- Create a framework for predicting department/project staffing against sales pipeline (e.g utilization tracking, resource allocation, resource projections)
- Support business development team with new business leads
- Develop strategic relationships with key customer stakeholders with an eye toward account expansion and renewal (year-over-year events)
- Recruit, hire and retain a diverse, highly qualified staff and provide coaching and personal development for employees (annual reviews, systematic feedback, etc).
- Serve as the voice of the customer in driving improvements and/or innovations to our events product and services offerings
- Share customer insights with the leadership team from customer health tracking, feedback, and after-action reviews
- Identify and report on key metrics and department OKRs for senior management
- Manage contractors and vendors (selection, contracting, invoicing)
- Plug into the international development community and what they value about our events
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- 5-10 years of experience in direct events management – ideally including hybrid and/or virtual event experience
- 3+ years of people management experience
- Direct client-facing events experience is preferred over internal events management
- Experience as a department director or similar position managing staff, processes, and key metrics reporting
- A self-starter who takes the initiative to problem solve and get things done
- A calm demeanor under pressure and the leadership presence to build trust with global stakeholders (e.g. partners, speakers, senior leadership)
- Organized, fast-working, but detail-oriented, with a passion to provide great experiences for our partners
- Exceptional communication and public speaking skills
- History of supporting successful business development execution (e.g. scoping projects, renewing partnerships; growing accounts etc.)
- Ability to build and maintain excellent relationships with partners and peers
- Ability to align and execute against strict deadlines
- Experience with project management tools (e.g. Monday.com, Trello, Jira, Asana)
- Fluency with Webinar tools: Zoom, Microsoft Teams
- Familiarity with Production tools ( vMix, Vimeo, Livestream Studio, OBS) a plus
- Fluency in English is required. Fluency in additional languages is highly valued.
- This role may require occasionally supporting events in non-US global time-zones
This is a remote position however, we have a preference that the (Sr) Director of Events and Programs position be based in the US, to support the concentration of US team members and partners based in the Washington DC and NYC area. Ability to travel in the US and International. Most important will be the person, their ability and motivation to help us grow, and their fit with the team.
General office environment. The position will require extensive time sitting or standing and viewing computer screens. The following capabilities are required in order to perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations that do not create an undue burden on the company are available to address the following requirements.
- May occasionally lift, carry, stoop, bend, etc. (no more than 20 pounds).
- Ability to walk up multiple flights of stairs.
- Ability to travel in the US and International (less than 20% time)
Salary range: $90,000 – $125,000
- 3 weeks paid time off
- Winter holiday shutdown
- 10 company holidays
- Remote work options
- Parental leave
- Medical, Dental, Vision Plans
- Commuting Benefits
- 401k, with company matching (eligible after 6 months)
- Professional development funding
Open until filled
TechChange is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We know that our differences make us better. TechChange does not discriminate based on race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected status.