Deadline: April 20, 2023.
About the Role:
The Director of Storytelling is a strategic and creative writer who brings Episcopal Relief & Development’s work to life through dynamic and compelling human-centered stories. As Episcopal Relief & Development’s lead writer, you will work across the organization to create and execute a storytelling strategy that elevates the voices of our partners, program participants, staff, and supporters and moves our audience to engage more deeply with our mission. You will develop and execute a media strategy to raise our brand visibility across various constituencies, including The Episcopal Church, the Anglican Communion, other faith-based groups, and within the humanitarian and international development field.
- Create emotionally and intellectually engaging content tailored for multiple target audiences and organizational goals.
- Translate ideas into powerful copy that drives action and complex issues into compelling and accessible content.
- Write short and long-form pieces for Episcopal Relief & Development’s outlets to elevate our profile, support fundraising, and advance our mission.
- Oversee the development of the Annual Report and other publications through all stages of production.
- Produce press releases, briefs, statements, talking points/key messages, Op-Eds, and crisis communications resources.
- Work closely with program teams to uncover storytelling opportunities and to identify appropriate formats, and support staff and volunteers in sourcing and producing written or multimedia story material.
- Ensure the organization’s website is current, relevant, and engaging for key target audiences in collaboration with the Web Marketing Manager and Manager, Digital Marketing.
- Plan and implement a media and advertising strategy aligned with organizational goals.
- Identify and pitch stories to faith-based and secular press.
- Manage media relationships, respond to press inquiries, and provide counsel and training for spokespeople while serving as a primary press contact.
- A strong, curious and innovative communicator with superior verbal and written skills who has sound judgment and manages sensitive situations with discretion and confidentiality
- A critical thinker with exceptional leadership and analytical skills
- An enthusiastic team member who is excited to work cross-functionally and lead creative and collaborative processes with tact, diplomacy and sensitivity to diverse backgrounds
- Self-motivated with superior project management, planning and organizational skills
- A detail-oriented multi-tasker who is adept at managing competing priorities and meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- A shared commitment to Episcopal Relief & Development’s mission, values, principles, philosophy and justice, equity, diversity and inclusion efforts
- A Bachelor’s Degree in English, Journalism, Communications, Marketing, or a related field and/or equivalent experience; An advanced degree in communications or a related field is preferred
- A minimum of eight (8) years of demonstrated communications and marketing experience, including writing and producing digital and print content for a range of target audiences
- A track record of using purposeful storytelling to drive organizational impact and business results with a strong understanding of storytelling and marketing copywriting trends across varied media types
- A minimum of three (3) years of direct supervisory experience of staff and consultants
- Experience working in the humanitarian and/or international development sector
- Strong editing, proofreading and presentation skills
- Experience using Cision or similar media relationship database service
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite applications and with working knowledge of WordPress or other CMS
- Annual salary range of $120,000 – $125,000
- Competitive, comprehensive benefits package offered