- Deadline: March 24, 2023.
- Reports to: Dream.Org VP of Sustainability
- Salary Range: $110-$140,000, Depending on Experience and Location
- Contract Type: Full Time
- Location: Preference for Washington, D.C., open to remote
- Candidate Level: Management
- Sector: Climate Change
About the Organization
Dream.Org closes prison doors and opens doors of opportunity. We bring people together across racial, social, and partisan lines to create a future with freedom and dignity for all. We are working to build a future wherein “we the people” means all of us.
Green For All fights for a world that is green for all, not green for some. We work at the intersection of environmental, economic, and racial justice movements to advance solutions to poverty and pollution.
Green For All seeks an experienced, mission-driven leader to serve as the Climate Investments National Director. The Climate Investments National Director will lead the execution of Green For All’s Justice40 agenda and help reach Green For All’s 10 year goal to ensure that the $369 billion Inflation Reduction Act of 2022, the most meaningful climate bill ever passed in the U.S., goes to the people and places most impacted by poverty and pollution and that it flows through minority-owned business to produce good jobs, better health, and increased opportunities. Our 10 year goal is focused on:
- A minimum of 40% of climate investments will benefit communities most impacted by poverty and pollution
- A minimum of 15% of climate contracting will be awarded to minority-owned businesses
- The United States will reach carbon neutrality by 2050 while building work and wealth opportunities for people of color.
The Climate Investments National Director will interface with the White House Council on Environmental Quality, Office of Management and Budget, and Departments of Energy, Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, Small Business Administration, and the Environmental Protection Agency. Key activities include the development of policy briefs and public comments, best practice research and publication, and advocacy and coalition building on issues areas including climate and clean energy, sustainable development, public financing, and green jobs and entrepreneurship. They will also be responsible for creating feedback loops to the Green For All Business Council and the Green For All Transformative Communities to inform program and policy design and implementation.
If successful, this position will help increase funding and dedicated investments for climate equity solutions in disadvantaged communities, expand opportunities for Black and Brown climate tech entrepreneurs, and increase public-private partnership opportunities through strategies like green banks and transformative climate communities.
The Green For All Climate Investments National Director will report to the Vice President of Sustainability and participate on the Green for All leadership team. We are looking for a seasoned manager who will supervise a team of 3-8 staff, as well as consultants. They will be a spokesperson for the Green for All program to the administration, key agencies, media, and external partners on Justice40 related issues. They will assist with funder pitches and grant reports to resource our Justice40 agenda. They will work with Dream.Org’s VP of Political Strategy and core departments, such as government affairs, development, digital engagement, and communications.
Leadership, Management, and Program Development
- Provide effective leadership, management and supervision of climate investments staff, interns, and/or consultants
- Participate in strategic annual planning and regular campaign planning
- Assist the VP of Sustainability with funder pitches and grant reports to resource our Justice40 agenda as needed
- Expand the existing program to include green financing and green banks Activities include program development, budgeting, operations, contract negotiation, and compliance
- Participate in regular Green For All team meetings, Green For All leadership meetings, Green For All-M5 Sync Meetings, Dream.Org all-staff meetings, quarterly management meetings, and annual retreats, etc
- Contribute towards a positive, productive, and collaborative working environment
- Model organizational core values of solutions, servant leadership, and soul
- Remain accountable for position responsibilities and develop ongoing individual leadership and talent plans
- Be responsive to incoming communications (inbox, slack channel, etc) during normal working hours
- Keep Quorum, Salesforce, Shared Drive, and Asana updated in a timely manner for effective information sharing in our remote culture
- Support implementation and adherence with all other organizational policies and procedures
Justice40 Strategy, Advocacy & Research
- Work closely with the Vice President of Sustainability to develop and guide Justice40 policy platforms and federal regulatory strategy
- Conduct landscape analyses of regulatory opportunities and recommend policy strategies or options
- Perform and oversee extensive research on climate, clean energy, sustainable development, public financing and green jobs and entrepreneurship best practices
- Monitor, track, and report on emerging regulations, program design and policy developments
- Read and analyze federal regulations and shape policy positions and submit policy position letters and comments
- Prepare issue briefs, one-pagers, talking points, internal memos, and other content as needed
- Manage coalitions of diverse partners and convene stakeholders from across the political spectrum to advance program goals
- Coordinate with VP of Political Strategy, Government Affairs Director, and Green For All Policy Director on annual federal budget advocacy
- Coordinate closely with Green For All Campaign Director on state-level campaigns associated with the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022
- Build and maintain exceptional professional relationships with policy-makers, program partners, coalitions, and advocates
- Work with program leadership and internal core departments (government affairs, development, engagement, and communications) to design and implement policy and advocacy activities to support Justice40 campaigns
- Monitor progress of planned activities and provide regular updates and reports
- Review written communications prior to Vice President of Sustainability and review/approval upon request (e.g., press releases, Op-Eds, funder reports, funder proposals, etc.)
- Support Green For All Leadership team, including helping to secure and prepare directors for key meetings
- Represent Green For All in external meetings and events when the VP of Sustainability is unavailable
Justice40 Campaign Coordination
- Lead the Green For All Campaign strategy to implement the Justice 40 Implementation at the federal level by coordinating a cross-functional team including government affairs, development, engagement, and communications
- Support the Green For All Campaign Director to guide state strategy, policy platforms, and legislative agendas for the common ground campaign
- Create feedback loops for the Green for All Business Council members and the Transformative Communities to inform federal regulatory policy
- A strong demonstrated commitment to racial and economic justice
- A passion for bridging divides and bringing people together around a common cause
- Strong working knowledge of federal rule-making processes
- 8-10 years of relevant work experience and a track record of success
- Extensive knowledge of climate change issues and what is needed to transition the American economy including in-depth expertise on one or more of the following topics: climate and clean energy, sustainable development, public financing, and green jobs and entrepreneurship
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, including excellent writing and editing skills, persuasive communication, public presentation and/or meeting facilitation skills, and ability to be an effective media spokesperson
- A minimum of at least five years of experience with staff supervision and coaching to inspire individuals and teams to a high level of performance
- Demonstrated ability to develop and leverage strong working relationships with key decision makers, partners and diverse stakeholders, including both conservatives and liberals
- Experience working in driven and fast-paced teams, often working under pressure while maintaining congenial relationships and a high quality of work
- Ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize work effectively
- J.D. or MPP, or relevant advanced degree preferred, but not required if the candidate has additional relevant years of federal policy experience
- We are especially interested in candidates who have been personally impacted by climate disruption, environmental racism, and/or economic oppression; or have spent significant time living and working in communities impacted by these issues are strongly encouraged to apply
- Appreciation for empathy-based communications and storytelling and digital advocacy
- Willing to take initiative, exercise good judgment, and use diplomacy and discretion
- A roll-up-your-sleeves, no-job-too-small, go-the-extra-mile work ethic
- A values-based, principled approach and willingness to work with people you don’t always agree with to advance positive change
- Ability to deliver high impact results
- If in DC, must be willing and able to travel to in-person staff meetings and retreats (estimated 10-15%), upon safely resuming in-person travel. If not in DC, must be willing to travel to Washington D.C. up to 30% depending on the need.
This position will be reviewed starting March 24th until a candidate is hired.
- All full-time employees receive Medical, Dental & Vision coverage.
- Dream.Org pays 100% of premiums for employee, spouse and dependents.
- Part-time employees receive 50% coverage.
- After a 6 month waiting period, employees can contribute to our retirement plan. Currently, Dream.Org offers up to a 5% match.
- We also offer a flexible spending, pre-tax program for medical expenses, dependent care expenses, transit expenses and parking expenses.
- All full-time Dream.Org employees accrue 4 weeks of vacation time off and 12 days of sick time off over the first year of employment. Part-time employees accrue time off on a prorated basis.
- In addition to 10 paid holidays, Dream.Org also provides paid time off from December 24th through January 1st each year.