- Reports to: Dream.Org VP for Political Strategy
- Salary Range: $100,000-$110,000
- Location: Washington, D.C. area, or willingness to move to D.C. area
- Sector: Environment
- Candidate Level: Management
About the Organization
Dream.Org closes prison doors and opens doors of opportunity. We bring people together across racial, social, and partisan lines to create a future with freedom and dignity for all. We are working to build a future wherein “we the people” means all of us.
Green For All fights for a world that is green for all, not green for some. We work at the intersection of environmental, economic, and racial justice movements to advance solutions to poverty and pollution.
Green For All seeks an experienced, mission-driven leader to serve as its Policy Director. The Policy Director will lead the execution of Green For All’s federal policy agenda, particularly legislation that advances common ground climate policies that unite Republicans and Democrats behind equitable climate and clean energy solutions. The Policy Director will provide policy research, analysis, legislative advocacy and coalition building leadership for Dream.Org’s Green For All team, and collaborate with Dream.Org’s Government Affairs division.
Green For All works to increase funding and dedicated investments for climate equity solutions in disadvantaged communities, prioritizing good, green jobs in programs related to infrastructure, transportation, and energy investments, expanding opportunities for Black and Brown clean energy and cleantech entrepreneurs, and strengthening funding flow via green banks. Expertise in NEPA and permitting as it pertains to accelerating clean energy deployment in disadvantaged communities is a priority, given the likely Congressional focus on permitting reform this session.
The Policy Director will interface with Congress, the administration, and national political organizations. The Green For All Policy Director will report to the Vice President Political Strategy and serve on the Green For All leadership team. The Policy Director will manage consultants and work with staff across departments in order to advance our goals and priorities.
Policy Strategy, Advocacy & Research:
- Work closely with the Vice President for Political Strategy, Government Affairs Director, and Green For All leadership team to establish Dream.Org’s federal climate & clean energy agenda
- Maintain relationships with key members of Congress on climate & clean energy issues, including Congressional leadership and committees of jurisdiction Regularly conduct outreach meetings on Capitol Hill to share Dream.Org’s policy positions
- Prepare issue briefs, one-pagers, talking points, internal memos, and other content as needed
- Develop working relationships with advocates in climate and clean energy space, particularly advocates committed to common ground solutions, climate equity organizations, and conservatives working on climate solutions. Join and manage coalitions to advance those common ground solutions
- Coordinate with VP of Political Strategy, Government Affairs Director, and Green For All leadership on annual federal budget advocacy with a focus on defending the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 federal investments and ensuring the agencies have the staff capacity to deploy resources to the communities hardest to serve
- Coordinate closely with Green for All Climate Investments National Director on Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 federal level implementation and Green For All Campaign Director on state-level campaigns associated with the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022
- Review politically sensitive external communications, such as Dream.Org emails, petitions, and texts
Campaign Strategy and Coordination:
- Lead the Green For All Campaign strategy on federal common ground climate legislation, with a focus on permitting reform and small business access to federal climate investments
- Internally coordinate Dream.Org departments, including government affairs, development, and communications, while externally participating in coalitions and maintaining key external relationships
- Support the Green For All Campaign Director to guide state strategies
- Serve as Green for All’s spokesperson on common ground national legislative policy issues and handle related incoming media opportunities
- Participate on the Green for All leadership team and provide effective leadership to interns and consultants
- Assist the VP of Sustainability and the VP of Political Strategy with funder pitches and grant reports to resource our Green For All policy agenda as needed
- Participate in strategic annual planning and regular campaign planning
- Model organizational core values of solutions, servant leadership, and soul
- Help build Dream.Org build its presence in Washington, D.C. as a values-based, common ground organization
- A strong demonstrated commitment to racial and economic justice
- A passion for bridging divides and bringing people together around a common cause
- At least 3-4 years of experience working on federal policies related to these issues
- 5-6 years of relevant advocacy experience and a track record of success
- Extensive knowledge of climate change issues and what is needed to transition the American economy including in-depth expertise on climate justice or clean energy
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, including excellent writing and editing skills, persuasive communication, public presentation and/or meeting facilitation skills, and ability to be an effective media spokesperson
- Demonstrated ability to develop and leverage strong working relationships with key decision makers, partners and diverse stakeholders, including both conservatives and liberals
- Experience working in driven and fast-paced teams, often working under pressure while maintaining congenial relationships and a high quality of work
- Ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize work effectively while working in a remote environment
- An appetite to work with unlikely allies to achieve common ground
- We are especially interested in candidates who have spent significant time living and working in communities impacted by environmental justice issues
Travel / Office
- If in DC, must be willing and able to travel to in-person staff meetings and retreats (estimated 10%). If not in DC, must be willing to relocate within the first three months of receiving the offer, and travel there regularly in the interim.
- Dream.Org does have an office near the Capitol, though there is no required days in the office
- All full-time employees receive Medical, Dental & Vision coverage.
- Dream.Org pays 100% of premiums for employee, spouse and dependents.
- Part-time employees receive 50% coverage.
- After a 6 month waiting period, employees can contribute to our retirement plan. Currently, Dream.Org offers up to a 5% match.
- We also offer a flexible spending, pre-tax program for medical expenses, dependent care expenses, transit expenses and parking expenses.
- All full-time Dream.Org employees accrue 4 weeks of vacation time off and 12 days of sick time off over the first year of employment. Part-time employees accrue time off on a prorated basis.
- In addition to 10 paid holidays, Dream.Org also provides paid time off from December 24th through January 1st each year.