About the Organization
With love and respect, YouthBuild partners with opportunity youth to build the skillsets and mindsets that lead to lifelong learning, livelihood, and leadership. At more than 275 YouthBuild programs across the United States and around the world, students reclaim their education, gain job skills, and become leaders in their communities. To date, YouthBuild has partnered with more than 180,000 young people to dedicate over 50 million hours of service benefitting urban, rural, and tribal communities. YouthBuild strives to create a world where all young people are seen for their potential, and power to transform themselves and their communities.
YouthBuild USA, located in Roxbury, MA, is the support center for the YouthBuild movement. It strengthens YouthBuild programs through technical assistance, leadership development, innovative program enhancements, and advocacy. YouthBuild programs located outside of the United States are supported by YouthBuild USA’s international division, YouthBuild International. For more information about the YouthBuild movement, YouthBuild USA, and YouthBuild International, visit YouthBuild.org.
About the Job:
The Major Gift Officer (MGO) will spearhead YouthBuild USA’s individual philanthropic strategy. Leveraging a diverse set of revenue sources, including from existing and new relationships with individual donors, will allow YouthBuild USA to continue and scale its global impact.
Reporting to the Vice President of Development, the MGO will be responsible for developing, engaging, and stewarding individual donors. They will engage in and be responsible for all aspects of the donor development cycle, including donor identification, cultivation, solicitation, acknowledgment, partnership, and stewardship and will partner with the VP of Development, the CEO, and other members of the Executive Leadership Team to support these processes. YouthBuild USA’s evolving Major Gifts strategy will supplement our institutional giving efforts, and the MGO will raise major gifts that will expand and sustain our ambitious programmatic goals, and support the global YouthBuild network, investing in programming, affiliates, and young people. The MGO will significantly impact the Development team, the organization, and the YouthBuild network as a whole.
This is a full-time, exempt position. Remote candidates are encouraged to apply; however, priority may be extended to candidates based in major metropolitan areas, near a YouthBuild affiliate, and/or with convenient access to a major airport (depending on the candidate, portfolio makeup, and overall individual philanthropic strategy, travel may be expected 20%-80% of the time).
- Manage and expand relationships with existing donors
- Identify, cultivate, and steward new donors to support YouthBuild USA and the YouthBuild network.
- Directly interact with, engage, and solicit donors (both virtually and in-person, when appropriate) to secure 5- to 7-figure gifts
- Oversee and execute all steps of the moves management process
- Analyze CRM data to identify untapped donor pools, and look externally to discover new prospective donors to engage with YouthBuild USA and the YouthBuild network
- Develop and manage a portfolio of approximately 100-150 donors, establish donor-centric goals, and create and maintain strategies for high-level donor stewardship
- Expand the number of major gifts ($5,000+) and planned gifts from YouthBuild USA supporters
- Directly solicit major and planned gifts, and partner with the VP of Development, Chief Strategy Officer, Chief Executive Officer, and Board members in key solicitations
- Develop unique cultivation and stewardship opportunities and participate in broader donor cultivation events
- Track portfolio activity, donor communication, and progress in CRM; create and review reports that accurately reflect portfolio activity and performance.
- Work with appropriate program staff to secure programmatic information and align fundraising plans with programmatic priorities
- Partner with colleagues to identify opportunities to engage prospective donors in existing events and/or support or facilitate such opportunities to be more inclusive of external audiences
- Assist with donor research projects and prospect research
- Maintain working knowledge of global, national, regional, and local programmatic priorities and issues as they occur
- Partner with colleagues from local YouthBuild affiliates and state coalitions to advance key donor relationships
- Assist with communications to donors about YouthBuild USA’s mission, activities, and impact
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of 4 years of fundraising or sales experience; demonstrated nonprofit development experience is preferred, but other, transferable experience will be considered
- Direct work soliciting donors and closing and stewarding major gifts for a global organization is ideal
- Demonstrated ability to achieve revenue goals; proven track record of soliciting and closing gifts in the $10K-$50K+ range
- Work in education or youth development organizations a plus, but not required
Skills & Knowledge Required
- Superlative oral and written communication skills, with high attention to detail
- Strategic thinker with strong project management skills
- Willingness to incorporate the principles of Community Centric Fundraising into your development work
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team within a diverse community; ability to work with minimal direction and guidance after initial instruction
- Computer and Internet proficiency: Microsoft Office Suite, Office 365, and SharePoint experience a plus; skills in Excel and web navigation
- Experience with Salesforce or other cloud-based CRM/database systems a plus
- Ability to function under pressure, meet deadlines, handle multiple requests, and provide detailed and accurate execution of various tasks simultaneously
- Good judgment, sense of humor, discretion, and confidentiality
YouthBuild USA offers competitive salary and benefits, including health coverage, a 401(k) savings plan, life insurance, and disability benefits. Salary range between $80k – $100k.