iMentor believes that all students deserve an equitable chance to pursue their ambitions. Our program builds authentic mentoring relationships in order to bring greater equity to our students’ educational journeys. Through these long-term relationships, first-generation, students of color from underserved communities increase their access to the knowledge, experiences, and resources required to succeed in college or their post-secondary pathway of choice, and to pursue their career ambitions.
By partnering with public schools serving primarily first-generation college students and providing every student in the school with a mentor, iMentor supports students’ post-secondary journeys with a level of depth and personalization that cannot be matched by traditional advising models. iMentor’s students are 37% more likely to enroll in college and are graduating college at double the rates of their peers. Since inception, iMentor has created and supported 38,000 mentoring relationships.
The Development Manager will join iMentor’s 5-person National Development team, based in our Headquarters in NYC. The National Development team is collectively responsible for raising a team goal of $9.1M and providing operational support to regional development teams. The Development Manager (DM) will report to the Associate Director of Development (National) and will be focused on providing prospect research and writing support towards the cultivation and stewardship of our national corporate portfolio.
About the Job:
The DM will play a key role in the execution of iMentor’s national cultivation and stewardship strategies. In this role, they will support the National Development team in stewarding relationships with iMentor’s corporate partners and prospects. In particular, the DM will provide grant writing support for national corporate opportunities; draft research profiles, talking points, and e-mail language for corporate prospects; and provide ad-hoc support for national development fundraising collateral.
The ideal candidate is one who is an excellent writer, storyteller, and information synthesizer; a strong researcher; highly organized; detail-oriented; and a cross-functional and collaborative project manager. This position offers an opportunity for a creative storyteller to inspire corporations, philanthropists, and social impact leaders to support iMentor’s strategic vision and national program impact. The DM will be equally excited to represent iMentor’s students, mission, and opportunities for support through a diversity, equity, and inclusion lens. This role also offers exciting potential opportunity for career advancement and growth within the department and/or organization. The National Development team operates on a hybrid work schedule and candidates should be prepared to work in-person at the NYC Headquarter office two days per week.
Report Writing (40%)
- Work closely with AD of Development to write exceptional LOIs, grant reports, and recognition materials (social media, blog posts, annual report highlights, and similar materials) for a portfolio of corporate foundations with capacity for 6-7 figure gifts.
- Build relationships with key departments within iMentor – e.g., program, volunteer engagement, finance, and research and evaluation – to aggregate data and information that will help inform and tailor funder reports.
- Manage internal grants and stewardship calendar to ensure corporate engagement touchpoints, deliverables, and reports executed in a timely manner.
Prospect Research and External Meeting Preparation (40%)
- Proactively research corporate prospects for fit and recommend next steps for cultivation to strengthen iMentor’s revenue pipeline and generate new sources of support.
- Provide research profiles on corporate prospects upon request to inform cultivation strategy.
- Research conferences, speakers, and attendees to generate new corporate leads.
- Draft e-mail outreach, meeting agendas, and meeting talking points upon request for frontline fundraisers.
Development Collateral Content Creation (20%)
- Draft and refresh iMentor development materials, such as “About iMentor” deck and Corporate Partnership deck.
- Draft ad hoc one-pagers for funders on iMentor programs overviews and event programming.
- Draft campaign materials such as e-mails, decks, and talking points for funder audiences.
- 5 years’ experience in relevant field with demonstrated success in grant report writing and development storytelling; experience in the nonprofit sector a must.
- Excellent written communication skills with the ability to articulate clear, persuasive, and concise ideas.
- Understanding of fundraising landscape and fluency with effective development communications practices.
- Strong researcher and relationship mapper; experience with philanthropy research tools such as LinkedIn Sales Navigator, Candid, ProPublica, etc. preferred.
- Displays exceptional project management skills while balancing multiple, complex projects in a highly deadline-driven environment.
- Detail-oriented and design/presentation-focused.
- Flexible and adaptive to effectively manage changing priorities and new opportunities.
- Salesforce experience preferred.
- Demonstrated alignment with iMentor’s mission, values, and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Views differences between individuals (race, gender, age, cultural heritage, physical ability, education, beliefs, and lifestyle) as an asset and demonstrates an appreciation of the diversity across the iMentor community.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Our organization works in partnership with district public schools across the country. In doing so we must meet all compliance requirements of those districts including background checks.
- iMentor is committed to ensuring healthy and safe environments for our staff, mentors, and the students we serve. In order to fully comply with the NYC Vaccine mandate, all iMentor employees (regardless of role or region) are required to be fully vaccinated priority to their start date.
- Salary $63,000-70,000 commensurate with experience
- Up to 100% employer funded comprehensive medical and dental coverage
- 18 days paid annual vacation (increasing annually to 21, 23, 25), 13 paid holidays + your birthday + one floating holiday, iMentor closed between Christmas and New Year’s Day, plus 6-7 sick days annually
- 401K match up to 4%
- Significant opportunities for professional development and growth including a $250 personal professional development budget in your first year, increasing to $500 in each subsequent year
- Hybrid Home/Office/School working arrangement
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Dependent care and health care flexible spending plans
- 1 hour of wellness time off per week for wellness activities of your choosing
- 9 weeks of paid parental leave