- Full time: 35 hours per week (excluding lunch breaks), although there is some flexibility around this for the ideal candidate
- Closing date: 23:59 Monday 7th November 2022
- Salary: £32,146
About Refugee Action
Refugee Action exists to work with refugees and people seeking asylum who’ve survived some of the world’s worst regimes. After fleeing unimaginable horrors, they can find themselves in a continued crisis in the UK, often homeless, living in poverty and unable to work. This is compounded by the racism that refugees and people seeking asylum face here in the UK. We see every day the power systems which inform the hostile environment, policies and procedures that people seeking safety are subject to.
We support people to live with dignity. Then we help them build safe, happy and productive lives in the UK. Our vision is that refugees and people seeking asylum will be welcome in the UK. They will get justice, live free of poverty and be able to successfully rebuild their lives.
We are striving to become an anti-racist organisation where we recognise and highlight racism whenever and wherever we see it – including within ourselves and our organisation. We are working to change the structures that are rooted in colonialism and negatively impact on refugees here in the UK. We are committed to increasing our understanding of colonisation, its impact on how we think and work, and how decolonisation will become part of our fundraising strategy.
Our vision for a welcoming UK has never been more important. Currently over 100million people are displaced worldwide, the biggest refugee crisis since WWII. Add to this the most hostile Government we have ever faced, now’s the time to collaborate with and stand up for the rights of refugees.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Refugee Action as we come to the end of our current strategy. Our future focusses on gaining systemic change through our campaigns, our direct services, and our work to strengthen and connect other service delivery organisations.
About the role
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a passionate and dedicated Philanthropy Writer to join our growing Philanthropy & Partnerships team. The team has doubled in size over the last two years, and has been doubling income year on year – we are a collaborative and motivated £1m+ team, and are dedicated to building long-term sustainable income to help refugees in the UK. We were delighted to be named Fundraising Team of the Year by Third Sector in 2022.
This is a brand-new role to the team, so will suit someone who enjoys making a job their own, and helping to shape team culture, processes and practice. We are looking forward to meeting you. The role will suit a creative and skilled writer, who enjoys producing internal and external documents tailored to a specific audience. You will work collaboratively with colleagues across the charity using your excellent communication skills to understand their work and then translate this into written documents, budgets, and creative materials to tell our organisational story. You will do this through an anti-racism and anti-discrimination lens.
Our services work with people in poverty and homelessness, women and children, and helping people access employment – we know that as a charity, we would appeal to corporate foundations and hundreds of trusts across the UK. You will create the content and apply for these opportunities, leading to regular, sustained income for the charity.
It is a fantastic time to join this growing team. You will have really exciting opportunities to lead on the creation and management of cases for support and reports. Your work will not only be part of the Philanthropy and Partnerships Team, it will also help the wider fundraising team to secure significant income. Thanks to your high-quality writing skills and ability to write for different audiences, the successful person will play an invaluable part in growing this programme at a vital time for Refugee Action.
- Excellent writing skills and attention to detail, to articulate complex information in an accessible way for a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrable experience of working constructively and collaboratively with colleagues from different teams, particularly working with internal teams to create and build effective cases for support.
- Passion and motivation to raise vital funds to support refugees and people seeking asylum in the UK.
- Experience of developing inspiring applications and composing compelling proposals for trusts and/ or corporate foundations to secure income.
- A flexible approach to managing and prioritising multiple tasks, with experience of delivering high quality work with minimum supervision, and the ability to be self-motivated.
- Experience of taking initiative to open and collaborative working, on new ways of working that have been successfully implemented.
- Commitment to positively contribute to Refugee Action’s work to become a truly anti-racist organisation, and to shifting power.
Please get in touch if you have any queries regarding the process and application by emailing us on firstname.lastname@example.org
Those with lived experience as a refugee are encouraged to apply. Read more here
Closing date: 23:59 Monday 7th November 2022
Interviews: Week commencing 21st November 2022 via Zoom