- Deadline: March 9, 2023
- Location: Brussels
- Job Type: Full-time
As an organization, Bellona has always been at the forefront of environmental innovation and industrial decarbonisation. Being a group of evidence-based environmentalists, our goal is to implement new, more sustainable actions, which can effectively reduce CO2 emissions and that are implementable today. We advocate for pragmatic approaches that deliver the greatest impact, today and tomorrow, while not shying away from addressing contentious issues. We endeavour to cooperate with all stakeholders, but also act as a watch dog against greenwashing. From our Oslo and Brussels offices, we have been advocating transformative climate action in industry for decades.
About the job :
As part of Bellona Europa’s further expansion, we are looking for a Policy Assistant to support our advocacy work towards EU institutions, national governments, and relevant stakeholders. The position will focus on EU legislative processes and initiatives, as well as on advocacy campaigns and communication. The selected candidate will support our senior staff working on EU policy and projects, as well as be expected to contribute to the greater work of the team when relevant. The selected candidate will work on a range of topics, with a particular focus on how best to ensure market mechanisms supporting industrial decarbonisation, sustainable finance, and green procurement policies.
We are looking for a motivated, analytical and communicative policy trainee with a particular focus on how market and support mechanisms can drive decarbonisation to reach net-zero by 2050.
- Relevant experience in policy/advocacy, with a particular a focus on sustainability and climate change mitigation
- Good knowledge of public affairs, with a focus on EU institutions and the political landscape
- Experience in analysing EU and national-level climate and environmental policy
- Strong networking and communication skills, and an interest to work in an inter-cultural environment.
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of one (or more) language/s is a plus.
- Eligibility to work and reside in Belgium for candidates willing to be based in Brussels.
- Willingness and ability to travel occasionally.
There is no specific degree requirement. As the work is highly interdisciplinary. However, a proven record or willingness to deep dive into relevant technical, as well as regulatory, political, and business issues is essential.
- Support the EU policy team in its advocacy efforts, developing positions and briefs for relevant policy makers and stakeholders with a particular focus on sustainable finance and sustainable economies. Help identify opportunities for engagement in the EU policy space to reach climate targets of net-zero by 2050.
- Contribute to capacity building, cooperation with and empowerment of civil society organisations.
- Track, analyse, evaluate, and shape Bellona’s position on relevant climate and industrial policy developments.
- Help expand Bellona’s network and profile by building strong relationships with politicians, government officials, company representatives and other relevant stakeholders.
We offer a meaningful and engaging experience through this paid traineeship based in Brussels (full-time 38h/week) with an initial 6-month Belgian CIP contract (with a possibility for a full-time position at the end of the traineeship), starting in April 2023 ideally. Bellona promotes a multicultural, flexible, inclusive and collaborative work environment.
How to apply:
Please send us your application respecting the following instructions: One PDF document including both your cover letter (1 page max) and your CV (2 pages max). Your PDF file should be named as follows: familyname_name.pdf. Please send your application by email to our HR mailbox email@example.com for the attention of Ms. Lina Strandvåg Nagell, Bellona Europa Senior Manager for Projects and EU Policy, indicating ‘Policy Assistant vacancy’ in the subject line, by 9 March 2023 at 18h00 CET at the latest. Kindly indicate where you found our vacancy.
We thank you in advance for your application, your time, and your interest in this position. Kindly note only short-listed candidates will be contacted due to the large number of applications we expect. If you receive no feedback within 4 weeks after applying, please consider you have not been selected. NB: All candidates should be available for the 1st round interviews between 13 and 17 March.