Deadline: October 31st, 2022
Overview of the Organization
Are you a passionate women’s rights advocate in Rwanda seeking to use your expertise to create lasting change and feminist peace? We are looking for a national Programme Officer with expertise in prevention and response to Gender Based Violence (GBV) to join the Kvinna till Kvinna office in Kigali, Rwanda and the Kvinna till Kvinna global workplace.
The Kvinna till Kvinna Foundation has defended women’s rights since 1993. Today we are one of the world’s leading women’s rights organizations, working directly in areas affected by war and conflict to strengthen women’s influence and power. We work closely together with over 150 local partner organizations across 20 countries to end violence against women, reach lasting peace and close the gender gap once and for all. The future is equal. And together, we are change.
About the job
We are seeking a passionate specialist in Gender Based Violence (GBV) prevention and response, to join us as a Programme Officer in Rwanda. Kvinna till Kvinna believes that GBV deprives women and girls of their fundamental human rights, it prevents them from participating in, and benefiting from, society on equal terms as men and it hinders their struggle for change. By supporting women’s rights organisations that in turn work to end gender-based violence, Kvinna till Kvinna strengthens both the organisation of women, their preventive work and their support to survivors/victims in all their diversities.
The Programme Officer is part of the Rwanda team, based at the Kvinna till Kvinna office in Kigali. As a Programme Officer focusing on GBV you will be responsible for strengthening capacities of partner organisations in the thematic area of GBV and leading Kvinna till Kvinna’s work on GBV prevention and response in Rwanda, including research and advocacy. You will report to the Head of Office for Rwanda and will work in cooperation and coordination with the Rwanda team, Partner Organisations and stakeholders throughout the country and staff at the Kvinna till Kvinna Head Office in Sweden. As a Programme Officer you are responsible for carrying out your work in accordance with the Kvinna till Kvinna’s mandate, policies, working methods, operational plan and budget.
Support to Partner Organisations
- Review and submit quality reports and action plans from Partners for the Rwanda Governance Board on a bi-annual basis
- The PO is the primary point of contact for a group of partner organisations under their portfolio. This includes developing and maintaining good relationships and communication with the Partner Organisation.
- Identifying and assessing potential new partners to work with Kvinna till Kvinna, in consultation with the Head of Office and other relevant staff at the Rwanda office.
- Administrate and provide partner organisations with timely guidance and feedback on applications, contracts, budgets and reports.
- Provide technical support and guidance to partner organisations through regular visits to partner organisations, monitoring and documenting partner organisations’ programmatic results and the quality of their programmatic work, as well as organisational capacity and development.
- Assist the Head of Office in reporting to donors and Kvinna till Kvinna head office, the key achievements from the partner organisations within their portfolio.
- Support partner organisations to seek funding and take initiatives for capacity building & networking.
Leading Kvinna till Kvinna Programme Activities
- The PO is expected to design, coordinate, plan and facilitate capacity strengthening and networking events in Rwanda for Kvinna till Kvinna partners in the thematic area of GBV and in line with co-identified capacity needs.
- Advise the Rwanda office in relation to technical quality, standards and best practices related to GBV prevention and response.
- The PO shall contribute to, or lead, in the development and roll out of research initiatives led by Kvinna till Kvinna Rwanda and its partners in relation to GBV.
- The PO will attend Government sub-cluster working group on GBV and will maintain close contact and coordination with the Director General for GBV at the Ministry of Gender and Family Promotion.
- The PO is expected to analyse and circulate to partners, relevant policies in relation to GBV which have been development and disseminated by the Government.
- When delegated by the Head of Office, the PO will represent Kvinna till Kvinna at official meetings and functions, for example with the Swedish Embassy, Sida, international organisations and other donors.
Kvinna till Kvinna Rwanda Office Operations
- The PO is expected to provide regular updates on political and other developments and actively participate in the Rwanda team’s country and thematic analyses.
- The PO shall prepare input to proposals and reports to donors as requested by the Head of Office and Grant Manager.
- Other similar tasks as delegated by the Head of Office.
- Minimum of seven years of relevant experience
- University degree in social sciences or relevant field
- Demonstrated knowledge, understanding and commitment to women’s rights and gender equality
- Demonstrated experience, and commitment to, working with and supporting women-lead and focused civil society in Rwanda, including in organizational development for civil society organizations
- Demonstrated technical experience GBV programming including programme design, monitoring, research and advocacy.
- Experience planning, coordinating, and facilitating trainings in relation to different elements of GBV prevention and response.
- Demonstrated experience with women’s rights advocacy and activism in Rwanda, linking this to regional and global GBV networks
- Fluent in English and Kinyarwanda
- Experience working for an international non-governmental organization
To be able to succeed in this job you need to have excellent project management and communication skills. You work independently and lead, engage and coordinate teams, to deliver with quality and on time. You have strong analytical skills and manage well Microsoft tools, including word, power point and excel. You are willing to travel domestically overnight and on occasion travel internationally